Paralegal/Document Reviewer/Legal Assistant
6200 Saint Regis Circle, Apt. 205 Phone: 646.894.3507
Raleigh, NC 27606 Email: email@example.com
STRATEGY | LEADERSHIP | PERFORMANCE
Legal professional with experience drafting persuasive documents, immigration petitions, motions, and client communications. Articulate communicator who is diligent, timely and self-motivated with outstanding organization. Able to process multiple streams of information rapidly, handle significant responsibility and a large caseload. Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, superior comprehension ability and discerning eye for refinement.
Areas Of Experience
Computer: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access, Outlook), Type 68 WPM
Synergy Legal Staffing, Morrisville, NC, February 2013 – March 2013
- Conducted document review in response to discovery request on multi-million dollar case.
- Redacted legally privileged details from discovery documents.
Experis at IBM, Research Triangle Park, NC, June 2012 – August 2012
Immigration Case Manager
- Create and file H-1B visa petitions including CAP cases, Amendments, Extensions and CAP-Exempt cases for IBM India employees coming to the United States to work on IBM projects.
- Assess and prepare individual cases performing all facets of case management including completing immigration forms using INS Zoom immigration software, drafting letters of support, counseling clients and filing petitions with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Department.
Manpower at Cisco Systems, Morrisville, NC, March 2011 – Sept. 2011
Floater Lobby Ambassador
- Ensured compliance with company Safety and Security policies and procedures while cordially greeting and directing guests, vendors, and partners.
- Articulately and tactfully screen and relay phones and worked cross-functionally with multiple departments providing moderate to complex administrative assistance.
Education Voters of New York, New York, NY, Jan. 2010 – Sept. 2010
- Assisted in the coordination of networking events designed to improve the educational environment for NYC public school students.
- Recruited, mentored and managed volunteers for Voter Registration drives. Trained volunteers in proper voter registration procedures.
- Worked collaboratively with other members of the Young Professional’s Steering Committee to increase attendance at networking events.
Friends of Heidi Chain, Kew Gardens, NY, Aug. 2009 – Sept. 2009
- Reached out to potential voters through phone-banking in order to educate and encourage increased voter turnout on Election Day.
Josheda Forrester – page 2
Professional Experience – continued
- Crafted campaign scripts for staff. Educated community members and constituents about the importance of voting, and of Heidi Chain’s platform, goals and expectations for upcoming term.
Panamanian Council of New York (PCNY), Brooklyn, NY, Jan. 2009 – June 2009
- Researched racial issues within Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Filed for public funding and grants. Reviewed, edited and organized research periodicals on Minority Issues in the Americas, and edited, and contributed to the online magazine, Noticiero Popular Panameño.
- Managed fast-paced meeting scheduling, effectively administering calendars, maintaining travel arrangements and preparing expense reports for the Director of PCNY. Wrote letters and emails.
Law Office of Roberta Chambers, Queens Village, NY, Nov. 2007 – Feb. 2008
- Performed investigations, extensive legal research and all forms of document drafting for immigration proceedings.
- Drafted motions and pleadings for family law cases. Maintained files and researched the laws governing immigration, human trafficking and international adoption matters.
- Articulately and diplomatically handle client interactions and correspondence, both verbally and in writing while building positive rapport with clients.
Town Attorney’s Office for the Town of North Hempstead, Manhasset, NY, Aug. 2006 – Nov. 2006
- Drafted resolutions and coordinated, updated and maintained the town board calendar. Processed municipal and inter-municipal legal issues. Managed the court dispositions database.
- Created contracts and inter-municipal agreements.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, New York, NY, Jan. 2006 – April 2006
- Investigated and processed employment discrimination complaints, and researched applicable state and federal law.
- Assisted supervising attorneys with providing information to potential plaintiffs on the interpretation of Commission Policy under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Law Offices of Riconda and Garnett, Valley Stream, NY, July 2005 – Oct. 2005
- Drafted and responded to discovery requests and pleadings. Drafted requests for Judicial Intervention and Motions for Default judgments. Conducted legal research for divorce and personal injury cases.
Hofstra University School of Law Political Asylum Clinic, Hempstead, NY, Jan. 2005 – July 2005
- Successfully represented a client who was fleeing persecution in another country, before asylum officers in Immigration Court proceedings. Assisted a translator during the witness interview process to acquire additional information for testimony.
New York State Division of Human Rights, Hempstead, NY, Jan. 2005 – May 2005
- Investigated and processed human rights complaints under the supervision of an Investigator. Assisted with fact-finding conferences. Conducted research on applicable state and federal law. Drafted legal reports, analyzed data and documents, interviewed witnesses and all relevant parties.
Education & Training
Juris Doctor, Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, NY
- Black Law Students Assn. (BLSA), member & National Institute for Trial Advocacy Course, Winter 2005
- Publication: ‘Ozias, Josheda. "Let Her Go!: Analysis on how the Abolitionist Movement Inspired and Hindered the Feminist Movement." 6 May. 2006. Hofstra Journal of Int’l. Law and Foreign Affiars. 6 May. 2006. <http://hofstrajournalintllawforeignaffairs.blogspot.com/2006/05/let-her-go-analysis-on-how.html>.
Josheda Forrester – page 3
education – continued
Bachelor Of Arts in Government & Politics, St. John’s University, Jamaica, NY GPA 3.7
- Publication: “Female Genital Mutilation: Tradition or Torture,” NYS Assembly Session Internship Annual Interns Report.
- Honors: Dean’s List for 3 years